How to get out of paying a parking fine in New South Wales – Crime

You only need to register or log in to to print this article.

Reception of a nice parking lot can be incredibly frustrating, especially when some local authorities seem more focused on using them as a revenue raiser rather than maintaining public amenities that should be freely available to all ratepayers.

But it’s important to remember that just issuing a ticket doesn’t mean you’ll have to pay for it with your hard-earned money.

Rather, there are ways to request a review, challenge and challenge a parking fine, which can result in the removal of the fine or even thrown out of court.

Here’s what you need to know.

What is a parking lot?

A parking fine is a financial penalty that you have to pay to your local council for breaking local regulations regarding parking in reserved spaces.

Most people get a parking fine by getting a fine notice on their windscreen from local parking enforcement officers.

It is important to be sure that you are paying a real fine and not a private demand to pay, sometimes referred to as a ‘private fine’, which private businesses sometimes try to enforce violations such as parking without permission in a private lot.

Private fines they’re not really okay at all, but a private dispute between you and the organization. In some circumstances, you may not even be required to pay a “private penalty”.

Procedure for contesting a parking fine

If you believe there has been a mistake in the issuing of a parking fine or there are other reasons that contributed to the offense that need to be considered, you can request a review.

If you do not agree with the findings of the review, you may choose to take the matter to court, in which case you will be given an initial court date during which you can either request that your case be entered for defense or enter a guilty plea and apply for leniency such as a Section 10 discharge.

However, you should be aware that the maximum penalties applicable in court can be much higher than the fine you have been awarded and you may even be liable for the other party’s costs if you lose.

How to get out of a parking fine in NSW

There are several ways you can challenge a parking fine. Generally, you would contest the offense on the basis that you either did not in fact break the parking rules or that there are special circumstances where we think you should not be ticketed.

Common defenses include that:

  • Someone else was driving the car at the time of the parking offence.
  • The parking meters were faulty.
  • The time limit sign with parking hours was illegible or difficult to see.
  • The local parking inspector issued the fine by mistake.
  • The issued ticket is invalid due to an error in date, time, place or vehicle registration.
  • The violation was justified by an emergency, including a medical emergency or your car breaking down.
  • Leniency should apply to your personal circumstances, which may include physical and/or mental illness, homelessness or financial hardship.
  • You exceed the prescribed time limit for parking in less than 10 minutes.

You will not be able to challenge parking simply because of a moral or political belief that the fine is unfair or that you disagree with the way the local council approaches parking.

For most of the above defenses you will need to gather some evidence to support your case, this may include a letter from your doctor (for medical emergencies) or mechanic (for vehicle breakdowns) as well as current photos of the crime scene. prove arguments about signage or malfunctioning parking meters.

An experienced criminal lawyer can help you gather relevant evidence to present your best case.

Formal defenses that may apply

Along with the above statutory exceptions, a person may be able to contest the offense based on a formal defense under the Act.

This may include Self defense, pressure gold need.

Measures for financial difficulties

If you do not wish to contest the fine you have received, but will have difficulty paying the fine on time due to financial difficulties, you can formally request payment of the fine in the installations.

You may be able to pay by installs if:

  • Get a state allowance;
  • He can pay the full amount within three months;
  • You need more than three months to pay;
  • Additional fines are already in effect.

It is important to request payment for installations as soon as possible to avoid additional charges.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the issue. Professional advice should be sought regarding your particular situation.

POPULAR ARTICLES ON: Criminal Law from Australia

Leave a Comment